I adapted this recipe from the lovely blogger, Katie, over at Figgy and Sprout. Katie has a beautiful website with mouthwatering recipes.
These bars aren’t your traditional flaky and hard energy bars. They are soft, chewy, and moist with crunchy surprises from the chia seeds and nuts.
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped (about 5 or 6 whole dates)
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs
1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2-1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 cup almond flour
3 tbsp raw cacao powder
3 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp maca powder
2 scoops organic hemp protein powder (optional)
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse minimally until all is combined. Don’t over process it, you want there to be chunks of nuts and dried fruit. Remove from processor and set aside in a medium bowl. Should look like this:
2. Add wet ingredients into food processor or blender and mix until all is combined.
3. Pour wet mixture over dry and fuse.
4. Incorporate all the stir-ins into mixture until all is combined.
5. Spread mixture evenly with preferred thickness into a dish or baking pan and place into fridge.
6. Once hardened, cut into desired shapes and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Keep in mind that the texture hardens up quite lovely after being situated in the fridge for a few hours.
Customizations: (endless possibilites!)
I will be using sprouted buckwheat as well as an addition of dried apricots, goji berries, and who knows what else next time. These kinda remind me of Probars!
-Use any sort of nuts you’d like
-Add in dried various dried fruit to sub for the dates/coconut flakes or simply as additional treasures
-Use yacon syrup, brown rice syrup, honey, or any other liquid sweetener or even whole dates instead of maple syrup
-Use hempseed oil, flaxseed oil, or any mild-tasting oil in place of coconut oil
-Sub sprouted buckwheat or other gluten-free oats for the almond flour
-Leave out/sub the maca, cacao, protein powder, chia seeds
-Any sort of spices or flavorings in place of ginger
Swell flavor combos:
What’s your favorite energy bar flavor?